Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Spine Board

Hey All,
     Saturday at Foothill College football game I had to do my second spineboard and my very first face mask removal in my career.  Talk about scary.  Our wide-reciever was going up for the ball and CCSF DB hit head to head.  Our guy was blind sided.  I don't belive it was a dirty hit or anything vicious, just part of the game.  Our guy was KO on the field for about 15-45 seconds.  His left side had no motor function but his dermotones were functioning. 
  My Boss was at the head (just as we practice very year) and it was my job to remove the facemask and do all of the testing.  Face mask was removed in less then a min.  We choose to use an electric screw driver, but have back ups for back ups.  He was spine boarded and packaged and put in the back of the ambulance very quickly and effeciently.  Then the trouble came.....
   The ambulance would not leave the field with him because the game was still going and they said their supervisor stated they were not able to leave.  We had to wait for another ambulance....and instead of the ambulance with him in the back of it leaving right then, they took him out of the back of that one and transfered him to another one.  Apparently the common sense fairy took a break for the day. But I am happy to say the kid is ok.  He was kept over night for observation, but was able to walk out on his own Sunday morning.    Thank you Lord. :)

I hope everyone has a great week.

-MES

4 comments:

  1. I have had a similar instance happen like that. It was a JV football game and it was a kid from the other team. Of course this other team was from 4 hours away and his parents were not at the game. He was conscious the whole time, but with neck pain and nerve signs into arms and legs while laying face down, I didn't want to take any chances. We called EMS, luckily they're right across the street. I didn't move him as I was the only qualified one there and EMS was so close I just held the head until they arrived. After the game I visited at the hospital, and luckily he was going to be able to walk out the doors that night as well. One of those skills you're glad you know, but hope you never have to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CG,
    My very first spine board was like that. I was at a high school and the only qualified medical staff there. Actually almost identical to what you posted. I was very thankful this time to have several ATC's around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michelle,
    The first one is always the scariest. Sounds like everything went fairly smooth. My first year I had 4 with football and one was a standing. Needless to say I am known as the angel of death. But be glad that you have help when you need it because it makes a world of difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad a bad situation had a good outcome. That has always been my experience with the ambulances we have on our sidelines. The one present is only scheduled for standby and therefore not allowed to transport. They always have to wait for a second ambulance and transfer the patient to the second one. The worst part is that the hospital is two miles away, they could transport and be back to the field in a total of ten minutes.

    ReplyDelete